I mentioned a couple in the previous post and it inspired me to check out the other Google Alternatives out there. Just to be clear, these are all sites based firmly on the Google search engine, they are just alternative front ends put up by other people.
Google allows this through its “custom search” functionality, which anyone can use to set up a search engine based on Google’s technology. Why do they allow this? Because they still get to put their ads up along side the search results!
10 Alternative Google Front Ends
Here is our list of search engines based on Google:
- justasearchbox.com: Just a Search Box, the only one of the list that I actually use! Book mark this now for a simple search experience! About.
- GoogleGoogleGoogleGoogle: This site went crazy on twitter, but the novelty search engine wasn’t all that useful! I’d rather just have four tabs in my browser!
- Blackle: In the days of CRT monitors a black screen required less power than a white one, this novelty google site was sold as an energy saving solution. Unfortuntely we all moved to more power efficient LCD screens and the argument no longer held!
- Doogle: An Irish version of Google, with the obligatory reference to Guiness and the use of the word “feck”.
- Goth Google: For those into the darker side of life.
- Pink: And for those who don’t relate to the above google parody, this one should do nicely!
- Emo: And back to the darker side of life!
- Purple: Not sure what the point is here, but a great one if purple happens to be your fave colour?
- Scroogle: This Google alternative has a very different agenda. Scroogle aims to strip out all of the data collection that occurs when you use Google. One for the paranoid or something to hide.
- Rainbow: And the final search engine parody of today’s list, a multi coloured version – remember to wear your sunglasses!
There must be a stack of other novelty google custom search sites out there? If you have any to add to our list then please comment below!
Other versions of Google
I’ll add any new suggestions as I get them: