I blogged about a new venture a while back, I set up gamingmonitors-uk.com as I was, and still am, looking to buy a new monitor. Despite immersing myself in the world of screens for over a year I have yet to decide what to buy! But the good news is that the site has now made enough money to pay for two top range models.
This is what hobby blogging is all about, setting up a site that interests you and using it to generate a little extra income to fund that interest. Perfect!
I always find it strange that so called “make money online” gurus never share real world case studies. They are full of wow and pizazz and the promise of riches but they are never able to back up their fortunes with real sites. One suspects they simply make money off telling people how they think you can make money – good for them, but that doesn’t really help us.
Why did I switch names?
So the site has been slowly growing month on month, I’ve been pleased with the results. I’ve been adding content to the FAQ section as and when I learn about new technologies, I’ve been reviewing monitors as and when I have looked into them for my own needs.
Here are the month on month stats from last year:
Nothing mind blowing, this is way off a commercial site and obviously this is not professional content – I am not competing with the professionals and don’t pretend to.
But these kind of figures are enough to start building a very welcome pocket money income.
As the site has grown I’ve wanted to talk more about monitors that aren’t just built for gaming. I’m actually now considering buying a gamer specialised model and a graphic design specialised model. I am professional IT worker afterall, and my PC is used for both work and play.
I have therefore decided to opt for a more generic name, hopefully this will make a click through from Google search results more attractive to those looking for professional monitors and not just looking at game playing.
So here’s introducing monitors-uk.com.
What did I have to do to change the name?
- Buy the new domain. Obviously! Fortunately the exact name I wanted was available. No problems there.
- Set up the new domain. With vidahost this was as simple as adding a new domain alias and pointing it at the existing site.
- Configure SSL. Vidahost now uses Let’s Encrypt to provide https support, a manual config update was required to allow the new domain to support this. The Vidahost support team turned this around for me very quickly!
- Update the WordPress URLs. Goto Settings->General. Do this before you do the next bit!
- 301 redirect the old domain to the new. Using htaccess.
- Update links in post. This can be done in a bulk fashion using a SQL update direct on the database. You can do a replace on the content field in the post table to change all the old instances of your domain to the new.
- Let Google know. Go into webmaster tools, register your new domain. Now go to the old one and you can notify Google of the replacement.
And that’s about it!