A forum member over at SammyNetbook.com posted a request recently. They asked me to setup my vBulletin to use Tapatalk.
I must confess that I had not heard of this neat little app before now, but after some research and installing it on my own phone I am now a big fan and regular user.
What is TapaTalk?
Tapatalk is a mobile phone forum application available for all the widely used mobile operating systems:
- Windows Phone 7
If you are a big fan of forums then you are probably aware that many already have a mobile version available. Unfortunately these are rarely intuitive to use and can take a lot of the fun out of keeping up to date on the latest threads.
The dedicated Tapatalk app offers a number of advantages:
- Designed from the ground up for easy use, the layout is great and the app very quick
- Built in notifications so you can see when you have a new PM, etc
- Upload photos from your phone to the forum
Installing TapaTalk on your Forum
The good news is that it is free to setup your forum to use tapatalk, so I would definitely recommend giving it a go – it really is very easy!
- Sign up for a free account at the Tapatalk website
- Register your forum, you just need to enter a few basic details which will help Tapatalk users to find you
- Download the latest version of the plugin. Get it from the Tapatalk site as I found the version at vBulletin.org was out of date
- Unzip the plugin and upload to your forum directory. There is no need to “install” the plugin in the admin control panel.
- That’s it!
I don’t see any reason not to install the plugin – anything that helps your forum users keep coming back and engaging more frequently in the discussion has got to be good.
Installing Tapatalk on your Phone
At the time of writing, the app is available on Android and iPhone for $2.99, which cost me £1.79 through the Android app store.
Free versions are also available on Blackberry and Nokia.
You can find detailed installation instructions over on the Tapatalk website.
If you do go ahead and install this app, feel free to add the www.sammynetbook.com forum to your faves!